319th Bombardment Group
1945 Camp Koza Page 2
These photos are believed to be from a GI assigned to a signal or communications unit probably attached to the 319th Bombardment Group part of the 7th Air Force.
Kadena Airfield, Okinawa, c. 2 July 1945 Machinato-Naha Airfield, Okinawa, 21 July-21 November 1945
Notes on the photos indicated that the GI who took the photos was on Okinawa from 14 July 1945 to 13 Dec 1945. Other notes indicated they were located somewhere near Camp Koza, an Okinawan refugee camp near Kadena AB.
The catastrophe and storm damage photos refer to Typhoon Lousie which hit Okinawa on 9 Oct 1945 and caused major damage to ships and military installations.
Each photo was numbered on the back and came with a typed list describing what was on each photo.
Okinawa - July 14th, 1945 to Dec 13th, 1945
81. Okinawan tombs
82. Three in one tomb
83. Each tomb contained at least one of these (very colorful chinaware)
84. Arch near Naha
85. Remains of Church in Shuri
86. Center of Naha
87. Building in Naha (Elk's Club?)
88. Remains of Naha railroad station
89. Jap engine and car
90. 91. Generals Quonset after storm Some of the storm scenes did not come out too well as it was Rainy the next couple of days.
92. Hdqtrs. Area
93. Jeep blown down msg. ctr. Embankment
94. Tent area of the 136th
95. Hdqtrs - where the ed. and info. tents use to be.
96. Hdqtrs orderly room
97. 1st row after our orderly room
98. Our orderly room in center back ground
99. Plane wrecked at cub strip
100. Cleaning up - Labella and Haas
101. Cleaning up - Garrison and P.G. Perry
102. Cleaning up - Makarowicz
103. Ie Shima from the air (C-47 wing tip)
104. Ie Shima from the ground
105. MEN - this is it - loading to go stateside.